Who is the program aimed at?
- International tourists.
- Domestic tourists.
- Companies that wish to offset the emissions of their employees' business trips.
- Tourism companies that wish to voluntarily offer it to their customers.
How is the offsetting done?
01An offset request is sent to CANAECO via email.
02CANAECO calculates the tons of CO2 that are emitted beginning at the traveler's departure point until the destination, using the FONAFIFO calculator.
03CANAECO sends the traveler the results of the calculation and the cost, along with an invoice, by email.
04The traveler pays the offset cost at a rate of $6.00 per ton.
05CANAECO sends the offset certificate to the traveler or the company.
How is the money generated by VCC invested?
For each ton that is offset, CANAECO pays FONAFIFO $4.00 and retains $2.00. FONAFIFO invests the money collected in the PSA reforestation program, which helps to:
• Increase reforestation to help with carbon fixation.
• Conserve biodiversity and aquatic areas.
• Protect scenic views.
• Guarantee the oxygenation of forests.
• Generate social development for medium and small producers.
CANAECO invests the funds in the administration and promotion of the Program. In addition to the $2.00 charged, $0.50 goes towards a fund that is given to a social welfare project at the end of every year.
This makes the VCC Program a project that causes large benefits and impacts in two ways, seeing as the companies and people that offset their trips help not only with the preservation of natural resources, but also with the social development of different previously-identified groups.